Read important Green Card information here
Monday - Friday: (9am – 5:30pm) Saturday: (9am – 1pm)
0161 874 4188
Green Cards
At present, you will not need a Green Card for any trips you have planned, which end with your return on or before 31st December 2020.

However, if the UK leaves the EU with no deal, then Green Cards may be required for EU travel on or beyond the date of the agreement.

We recognise this is an uncertain time for our clients and will endeavour to keep you updated as we learn more.

Please see our commonly asked questions by our existing policyholders below.

How to Request a Green Card

If you would like to find out more or request a Green Card from us, please contact us on 0161 874 7777.

Once a request form has been submitted, we will contact your insurer and ensure a Green Card is issued out to you within 21 days.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary third party insurance cover. These certificates prove that you are suitably insured to drive in these countries. A physical copy of a Green Card is needed when travelling as digital copies are not currently accepted. If you arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, you will not be allowed to drive in that country.

What does it mean to you?

At present, your motor insurance policy allows you to drive within the European Union, so if you are planning a trip that is completed before the UK leave the EU then no further action is necessary. However, if you know that you will be driving in the EU after a possible no deal Brexit, then please contact us as soon as possible to ensure that a Green Card can be issued in good time before you travel.

It is a requirement that your Green Card covers a period of a minimum of 15 days. Therefore, if your motor insurance policy is due to expire less than 15 days after the date of travel, you will need to ensure you have confirmed your renewal before you depart (even if your trip is less than 15 days in total).

Vehicle Hire in the EU

Where a Green Card document has been issued to you it will only apply to the vehicle detailed on it. If you want to rent a vehicle whilst you are in the EU you will need to arrange insurance locally, usually via the car rental firm.

How will we be issuing Green Cards?

The process will vary dependent on who your insurance company is. Each insurer is currently putting in place arrangements to issue Green Cards, but it is likely in the vast majority of cases that this will be a manual process. We ask therefore that you contact us in plenty of time before you travel to allow for the Green Card to be issued and sent in the post to you.

Will there be a fee for Green Cards?

Again, this will depend on your insurance company. However, to date none have advised us they intend to charge and we will not charge an administration fee as long as the Green Card is requested with 21 days notice.

Do I need a Green Card if I am driving with a trailer or caravan?

Yes. A separate Green Card is needed for each trailer or caravan. Please contact us at least 21 days before the intended travel date so that we can process the request for a Green Card and ensure that it reaches you in good time.

Will I still be able to use my insurance to drive in the EU after Brexit?

Yes. There will be no change to the cover we currently provide in our motor insurance policies, which includes legal minimum third party liability motor insurance required for travel to EU, EEA countries, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland. Our UK policyholders will not need to purchase additional third party motor insurance policy cover when travelling to these countries with a UK registered vehicle.

Will I need a UK driving licence when driving in in the EU?

Yes. Drivers will need their UK driving licence to drive in the EU, EEA countries, Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland, they may need one or more international driving permits (IDPs), depending on which country they’re going to or through and whether a photocard or paper driving licence is held. The Department for Transport provides guidance on IDPs.

If a driver has a UK licence they will not need an IDP to drive when visiting the Republic of Ireland.

Further Advice

You can obtain further advice and information at The Association of British Insurers.

You will also need to consider obtaining an international driving permit. You can obtain further details on the Government website.
Wilsons Insurance
Wilsons Insurance is a trading name of Bollington Insurance Brokers Ltd who are authorised & regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, and is wholly owned by Bollington Wilson Group Limited Registered Number: 10889686. Registered Office: Adlington Court, Adlington Park, Adlington, Cheshire, SK10 4NL.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram